Saturday, September 27, 2008

Scoring

Tonight will not be a good night for sleeping, so I must vent. Initial pundit reactions indicated that the two candidates came out even; however, as the minutes tick on, several commentators, including those on beloved FOX, admit to a definite win by Obama.

I used the scorecard that I sent out this afternoon, but I realize that its format may have been limiting. Thought I’d share my scoring, in case anyone is interested. Curious about others' reactions.

Opening Remarks: I’ll give them both 5’s.

Speaking Style: Obama 5; McCain 3

Hands down, Obama wins here if you include the fact that McCain NEVER looks at Obama, blinks repeatedly and rambles.

Presidential Manner: I give them both 5’s, although McCain surprises me here.

Content of Answers: Until I can fact check everything that they both said, I’ll give them both 5’s.

Personal Exchanges: Obama 4; McCain 2

McCain smirks, laughs, and again, that no eye contact thing really freaks me out. Obama was put on the defensive for sure, but I thought he came back effectively each time.

Closing: Obama 5 McCain 4

I docked McCain a point for saying how much he loves the veterans – ugh! Obama was strong in his argument about the way the world views us.

Okay, so far it’s Obama 29 McCain 24

BUT

Zingers and Blunders:

McCain

-No credit to Churchill for “end of the beginning or the beginning of the end” quote (-1)

-says that we are sending $700 billion dollars overseas – got his crises mixed up (-1)

-says Obama doesn’t know the definition of rich – give me a break (-1)

Obama

+Reference to McCain’s comments on No. Korea and bombing Iran (+1)

+Contrasts using a hatchet vs scalpel to ?domestic programs?- I think (+)

+Wishes that he had been wrong on his stand against going to war in Iraq (+1)

So …..

Obama 32 McCain 21

If the undecided just need to see that Obama is presidential, confident and knowledgeable about foreign policy, then this debate gives him a huge boost. I refuse to grade anyone on a curve - give McCain higher marks because he didn't bomb, or have higher expectations for Obama because he's intellectual.


Can't wait until Thursday's debate between Palin and Biden ----unless, of course, she drops out before then.....

No comments: