Monday, October 20, 2008

Voter fraud, new registrations, etc

The closer it gets to election day, the more nervous I get that there is going to be a major melt-down with regards to all the new voter registrations that Obama's campaign has worked so hard for. Did you all read the article that went with that awesome speech by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. that Elizabeth sent out a few weeks ago?? He talked about scams with the voter registrations, and cross checking them against all other governement records. I heard that the Supreme Court ruled against the Ohio Republican Party in a simliar case on Friday, but will that apply to all states? What other scams are going on that we DON'T know about? Here's a case of fraud here in California that I just read about -- the CA Republican Party hired a firm to tell voters they were signing a petition for tougher penalties on child molesters, when in actuality they were registering as Republicans!

What can Democrats do in the next two weeks to try to ensure that there isn't a big surprise on Election Day?? The last thing we need right now is to become more disenfranchised, less confident in our government, and more certain that our vote truly doesn't count because the whole thing is rigged anyway.


Maybe I'm just nervous because things are looking so good for Obama now.... I have to worry about something, right?! :)

2 comments:

Erik said...

I'm with you... nervous as hell. There was a segment on Bill Moyers' Journal this week about voter suppression, and it scares me to death. Here's hoping for results on election day that are so decisive in favor of Obama, that we don't have to wonder. *knock on wood*

elizabeth said...

bob herbert has a really good op-ed in the Times today regarding this fear. i love the irony brought forth in his conclusion that ordinarily the GOP would be criticizing all of the lazy americans who didn't bother to vote, but now that there's such widespread interest, they're trying to suppress it. it makes me sad and nervous at the same time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/21/opinion/21herbert.html?em