Tuesday, October 7, 2008


Palin at an event in Florida said:

“Our health-care plan will give millions of middle class Americans access to better health-care coverage without costing you a dime,” she said, saying middle class families would receive a $5,000 tax credit to buy coverage.

“Barack Obama is calling that a tax,” she said. “Now, there’s no tax; that’s changing health care for the better. He doesn’t understand that. I don’t know how he captures it and spins it to being a tax on Americans. No, it’s a credit.”


I was able to extract one true phrase out of that speech. "I"..."don't"..."know". To borrow a phrase from her trough of folk-speak, darn right you don't! Will someone please explain to the cheeping crickets in her brain how her running mate plans to pay for his program -- namely by eliminating the exclusion of employer-provided health care plans from taxable income. Maybe she thinks there's a difference between eliminating an exclusion from taxes and imposing a new tax. It's a complex concept, I know.

2 comments:

Alison said...

It'll also come from Medicare. From TPM:

McCain's Other Shoe Drops
10.06.08 -- 11:20AM
By Josh Marshall
Faced with health care plan numbers that didn't add up, McCain's economics advisor Douglas Holtz-Eakin has just announced that McCain will make up the difference with big cuts to Medicare. I guess they really are writing off Florida.

greg said...

Did you notice that McCain indeed called it a tax tonight at the debate?