Tuesday, October 7, 2008

That's All You Had to Say

''I didn't decide to run for president to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to become president because it had become my ambition to be president. I was 62 years old when I made the decision, and I thought it was my one shot at the prize.'' -John McCain

I wonder if it's really still worth it to him.

2 comments:

greg said...

oh my god. did he really say that???

Alison said...

He wrote it in his own memoir, "Worth the Fighting For." Granted, he was talking about his run in 2000, so maybe he had a change of heart between now and then.

According to Olbermann, it's on Page 373. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26314288/

Here's the response from McCain's fact check Web site (http://mccainfactcheck.com/facts/11/ambition_first_339735.shtml): Did McCain say he put presidential ambition first, before country?

Yes, though McCain said that in 2002 with respect to his 2000 presidential campaign; his 2008 campaign motto is 'Country First'.